Posted: April 17th, 2019
Deadline for Application: May 12, 2019.
The Long Island Explorium is a Children’s Museum of Science and Engineering focused on fostering STEM discovery, education and innovation. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of STEM. You can learn more about the Long Island Explorium at www.longislandexplorium.org.
The Explorium is seeking a Museum Assistant to provide broad administrative support to the museum. This position provides an excellent opportunity for a responsible and intuitive individual with a penchant for perfectionism, a record of academic success, and a strong sense of professionalism to play a key role in a very active museum. Position reports to the Executive Director.
This is a part-time permanent position that offers a flexible schedule and excellent growth potential. Salary will commensurate with experience.
Please note that this position does handle time-sensitive Museum issues and requires the ability to be available to complete tasks on the occasional evening and Saturday or Sunday.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
- Sources/collates museum supplies
- Maintains front desk museum records for data reports
- Routes and responds to electronic, phone, and in-person messages
- Maintains electronic records
- Drafts written communications
- Assists in scheduling and calendaring
- Follows up on event planning
- Scans, copies, and prints as needed
- Plans, confirms, places orders for birthday parties
- Communicating on behalf of Museum leadership with vendors and partners; advocating for the Museum as appropriate
- Helping with grants management
- Assisting with a variety of Museum programs
- A bachelor’s degree with an excellent grade point average from an accredited college or university
- Previous administrative experience, particularly in a growing organization, is a strong plus
- A track record demonstrating superb organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and personal communication ability, including assiduously accurate grammar and editing skills
- A positive, enthusiastic, and creative approach to problem-solving
- A highly refined sense of professionalism and responsibility
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
- A belief in the mission, image, and goals of the Long Island Explorium
Hours and Availability:
- Normal business hours.
To Apply: DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: MAY 12, 2019. 5 PM EST.
Please email the following materials email@example.com with a subject line mentioning “Museum Assistant”:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria
- A current resumé
Posted: April 4th, 2019
The Explorium is seeking a Bookkeeper
- Responsible for accounts payable and receivable
- Invoicing and communicating with vendors and partners
- Maintaining financial records via QuickBooks
- Developing monthly financial reports
- Grants budget management
2.5 hours per week (10 hours per month)
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: March 29, 2019
The Explorium is expanding and looking for part-time educators and museum guides for our weekend open hours on Sat and Sunday, public holidays and summer programs. We seek imaginative, innovative, and out-going individuals with knowledge of how people learn and the skills to effectively offer challenge-based, interdisciplinary STEM activities.
Experience in one or more of the following highly desirable:
1. Elementary and secondary school coding and robotics
2. STEM subject areas and interdisciplinary arts, music, and literacy
3. Circuitry and engineering design for children
Candidates with a strong foundation and/or deep understanding of constructivist teacher education are highly desirable and/or certified teachers.
Hours of work are typically 12:30pm to 5:30pm, Saturday and Sunday
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Compensation will commensurate with experience.
Applications are due by April 15th.
Long Island Explorium Part-time · $12 – $20 / hour