$5 per person
Members and children under 1 are free
Port Jefferson Library card holders - $1 off each admission ticket
- Can you use Morse Code to write a note for your partner? Place it in the bucket and use the “hand over hand” motion and send it to your partner.
- What simple machine are you using to “Help” you send your message?
- Design a Pictogram for your partner and send it to your partner.
- Can you send a message illustrated using Pictograms or Semaphore Flags?
At this exhibit, we offer visitors a beach in a boat. Using grains of rice, young visitors compare volumes and solve rate problems; fundamental mathematical skills that apply to many maritime and marine challenges.
Making a Prediction and then test out your “Guess”! Was it correct? Make a correction.
- How many cups will it take to fill one basket with rice?
- Does the size of the cup make a difference?
- How many Baskets to fill one bucket? Is there a Pattern?
- Which funnel will work best with the Rice? Why?
Straws and Connectors
- Can you construct a sphere (ball) with straight straws and connectors?
- Can you design a Tall Tower? How will you support the structure to enable it to stand tall?
- Construct a Rocket Ship to blast off! How many shapes will you incorporate?
Building with Gears
- Design a pattern of colors that will move in one direction only ( a ray).
- Are there other patterns you can design and construct?
- Can you construct a handle to turn your gear design?
- How high can you stack your gears and still be able to turn them? Does the height matter?
Hot Wheel Tracks
- What will happen when you Change the Height of your starting point? (Raise the height or Lower the height)
- Can you construct a loop? Can you add curves? Does your car need more speed to travel through the loop or curve?
- Does the size of your car matter? (Properties of the vehicle!)
- Can you construct a maze so that the ball takes the same path each time you drop it?
- Make a change in your construction so that your ball will travel a different path.
- Design a “Dual Challenge” with your partner. Time your pathway. Which is faster? ( add a stop watch and Measuring tape to activity area)
- Can you connect and balance ten cubes?
- Can you build with Lincoln Logs, interlocking the forms?
- Can you mix any blocks to construct a bridge using different kinds of blocks?
- Can you construct an Art sculpture using the tree forms?
Wooden Interlocking Puzzle Pieces
- Can you rotate the pieces to make a stronger structure?
- Do you need a stronger base to support and stabilize your structure?
- Can you design steps into your structure?
- Does it matter if you place the red hangars in the back of the yellow arm?
- Can you design a subtraction equation?
- Write a number sentence using (greater than & less than symbols)?
- What can you create with different sized paper tubes? Can you embellish your creation?
- Can you build a simple machine can you build? (ramps, etc.)
- Can you design a new tool to be used to measure objects?
- Investigate our natural shell collection and try to categorize the shells by properties they share.
- Do any shells match what you found on our Aqua Sub Challenge on our Smart Board?
- Design a shoreline in the sand box using rocks and seashells?
Large Magnetic Ball Run
- How high can you begin your Pathway?
- Does the mass of the ball affect the Run?
- How do the funnel pieces affect your ball run?
- Does the angle of the magnetic ramp make a difference in the speed of your marble? How?
- How can you slow your marble down?
- What parts inside square magnetic maze pieces affect your marble run?
- What patterns do you see in the shapes that you used?
- Lift up the wooden shapes; can you complete the challenge using different wooden shapes?
- Can you do a rubbing over the shapes with the side of a crayon and design an art piece as the artist M.C. Escher designed? Create a NEW art piece?
Harbor Wheelhouse Simulation
There is a plethora of activities on the exhibit! Children can navigate and open drawers, ring bells, and show them how to move in all directions.
- Can you open the Chart Drawer? What is the depth of the water needed for the ferry to sail out of the harbor and into the Long Island Sound?
- What color indicates the Channel for boats to safely exit the harbor?
- Can you find our Museum on the Aerial View chart? What else can you identify?
ScanTEX Construction Materials
- Can you build a moving vehicle with a handle to steer?
- Build a Suspension bridge! Add ramps for cars to access the bridge. Will your bridge span water or land?
- Can you build a Space Station with an entry point for your astronaut?
- Can you design a Boat to be anchored in the Port Jefferson Harbor?
- Can you construct a dock to secure your boat?
- Can you construct an urban community?
- How do you think they gathered the images to place you in this VR experience? (panoramic cameras)
- What kind of engineer has designed the program you’re using? (Software engineer)
- How does the computer know where you are looking and where you are standing? (gyroscopes and cameras)
- Gyroscopes are also found in iphones and other smartphones to track orientation
- Cameras/proximity sensors are also in iPhones so they know when the user brings the phone to their ear.
- What’s inside the ozobots that makes them move? (motor)
- How does the ozobot detect the color of the line? (camera)
- How does the ozobot know what to do when it reads the code? (It’s been programmed by an engineer to do so.
- What’s powering the ozobot? (battery)